The history of Catfoss can be traced back to the early 1930's but only really came into fruition in 1940 after re-development.
In October 1940 No2 Operational Training Unit (Coastal) was formed with Ansons and Blenheims.
Catfoss was again re-developed with three concrete runways, hangars and the general buildings associated with a wartime airfield.
1944 saw No2 OUT disbanded and replaced by the Central Gunnery School, who moved from Sutton Bridge. The Gunnery School operated a variety of aircraft including, Beaufighters, Wellingtons and Martinets using the coastal ranges at Skipsea.
As well as bomber crews, Catfoss also trained fighter pilots. Spitfires, Mustangs and Thunderbolts were all familiar visitors.
After the war there were a number of civil possibilities for the airfield but none of these came to fruition.
It wasn't until 1959 that interest in Catfoss was regenerated, with Thor Missiles being housed here as a satellite to Driffield.
In 1963 the unit disbanded and that was the end of operational life at Catfoss.
Pictures kindly supplied by Malcolm Barrass.