Driffield opened in 1936 as a bomber station part of No3 Group with grass runways.
In June 1937 the base was transferred to No4 Group Bomber Command.
August 15th 1940 saw a visit by the Luftwaffe with the intention of destroying Driffield. In all over 150 bomb hits were recorded with the hangars and many other buildings being hit. Twelve aircraft were destroyed along with a number of personnel killed. The base was so severely damaged that it wasn't operational again until the end of the year.
When the airfield re-opened in January 1941, the base had been transferred to No13 Group, Fighter Command.
1941 saw the base once again return to Bomber Command, being transferred to No4 Group, Bomber Command.
The station closed in late 1942 for the construction of concrete runways, in preparation for the arrival of heavy bombers, and re-opened in 1944.
At the end of the war, Driffield was put under Care and Maintenance and the future seemed uncertain until 1946, re-opening with No10 Air Navigation School, Flying Training Command.
Driffield, again, became a fighter station in 1955 part of No13 Group, Fighter Command with Venom NF3 aircraft.
Driffields operational career was nearing a close but up until 1968 had various uses. Driffield was designated as a Thor missile headquarters, but by 1963, all Thor units had been disbanded.
For a short period the base was used by Hawker Siddeley for the testing of the new Buccaneer aircraft, while their own base at Holme-on-Spalding Moor had its runways resurfaced. Once Hawker Siddeley had returned to their base, Driffield was put under care and maintenance until 1977, where it was transferred to the Army and re-named Alamein Barracks, a role it continues today.
Most of the site remains intact, although the runway areas have now been converted to an off road vehicle training track. The hangars are now used for grain storage and the old officers accommodation is now private housing.