HOLME-ON-SPALDING MOOR

Opening in August 1941, Holme-on-Spalding Moor was under the control of No1 Group, Bomber Command.

The first units to move in were No20 Beam Approach Training Flight (formed here) with Oxfords and No458 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force with Wellington Mk IVs.

October 1941 saw the Australians of No458 Squadron move in. In 1942 the unit was posted to the Middle East.

76 Squadron was to be the main resident unit until its last mission in March 1945.

Apart from a short stay by 512 Squadron, training crews to fly Dakotas, the base closed and remained on a Care and Maintenance basis until 1952 when No14 Advanced Flying Training School arrived to train pilots due to the Korean war.

1954 saw No14 AFTS move out and the base was transferred to the USAAF as a temporary home until their proposed base at Elvington was converted. The Americans moved out in 1957 and the station was taken over by Blackburn Aviation for testing of the prototype Buccaneer.

Holme-on-Spalding Moor continued with its aviation connections until 1983, where British Aerospace had used it as a satellite to Brough for various aircraft flight testing, when the airfield closed for the last time.

 

The airfield is now used for industrial purposes but most of the original buildings still remain, although the hangar area is fenced off.

Location Ordnance Survey Sheet 106 SE830350

This button takes you back to the airfields listing page.This is a link to a page showing a T2 hangar.This is a link to the page showing a J type hangar and the fabric store.This link takes you to the guard room and memorial page.This is a link to the page showing the parachute store.

Interested in airfield or World War Two related products? Have a look at our listings, click HERE

Text Box: Why not explore the airfields yourself?
Click HERE for information on the Yorkshire Airfield Trail Android App
This is a link to Hyperweb IT Services. Hyperweb constructed the Airfields in Yorkshire website.