Opening in 1940, Leeming, housed the night fighters of No219 Squadron on detachment from nearby Catterick and in June 1940 No10 Squadron with Whitleys moved in.
During 1941 10 Squadron began to convert to Halifaxes and No10 Conversion Flight was formed.
1942 saw the flight move to Melbourne and the RCAF moved in with 419 (Moose) Squadron with Wellington Mk III's. No408 (Goose) Squadron was the next unit to arrive and in early 1943 Leeming and it's units were transferred to No6 Group, RCAF, the station became RCAF Station No63.
March saw No405 Squadron arrive from Topcliffe with Wellingtons and the following month 424 Squadron arrived again from Topcliffe and again with Wellingtons.
After re-equipping with Halifax B II's, 405 moved out to Gransden in Bedfordshire.
In May 424 Squadron moved to Dalton and replaced shortly after by No427 (Lion) Squadron from Croft and immediately began to re-equip with Halifax B Mk V's.
In August, 427 was joined by No429 (Bison) Squadron from East Moor and again began re-equipping with Halifaxes. Both squadrons stayed at Leeming for the Wars duration.
After the war the two squadrons and Leeming were passed over to No1 Group and was responsible for airlifting Allied prisoners back to Britain.
This is just a brief outline of the activities at Leeming and today the role of the station is that of Britains defence with Tornado F3 fighters resident. Leeming is also one of the Stations earmarked to receive the new Eurofighter when it enters service.