Linton was one of the airfields chosen for construction during the Expansion period of the 1930's, so many of the buildings had a more permanent look to them rather than the more temporary airfields later in the war.
Linton officially opened in 1937 with No4 Group Headquarters being housed there.
1940 saw No4 Group Headquarters move out to more suitable premises at Heslington Hall, York.
Late in 1940 saw the first arrival of 4 engine bombers to Linton with the Halifaxes of 35 Squadron from Leeming.
In May 1941 Linton was the target of a German raid and suffered considerable damage and a number of casualties including the Station Commander.
In 1942 Linton had been earmarked to join the Canadian Group and in 1943 was transferred to No6 Group RCAF and became No62 (Beaver) Base Station with sub-stations at East Moor and Tholthorpe.
The first Squadron to arrive was No426 (Thunderbird) and began converting to the Lancaster MKII fitted with Hercules engines. 426 was joined in August 1943 by 408 (Goose) Squadron from Leeming
With the end of the war in Europe, 408 was transferred to the Tiger Force for the war against Japan and moved back to Canada with Lancaster MKX's. 408 never made it to the Japanese conflict before the end of the war and was disbanded at Greenwood, Nova Scotia, in September 1945.
426 was transferred to No47 Group Transport Command in May 1945 and moved to Driffield.
Linton was now passed back to the RAF and briefly became part of No4 Group Transport Command
In 1946 Linton was transferred to Fighter Command.
The Station was home to various fighter aircraft and Squadrons up until 1957 where it became obvious that the airfield was not suitable for conversion to accommodate the high performance jet aircraft coming into service.
Linton was briefly placed under Care and Maintenance before being re-opened as part of Flying Training Command with No1 Flying Training School moving in from Syerston. The Station was responsible for the training of students of both the RAF and the Fleet Air Arm until 1969 when the Naval training was moved to Church Fenton.
Today you can still see the next generations of pilots going through their paces flying Tucano aircraft. Much of the original buildings still exist but, obviously, this is still an operational airfield so access is almost not existent without permission. There is a viewing area (see map and green circle) though, but you can't really see much of the airfield layout from this position.